well I updated the PC....again...........

6 replies
Corporal
Votes:
+21
5 years service
As im working and I got my house all the cars are running, no guns in pawn, I thought I would treat myself to a upgrade to my PC twice in a year....yikes!
2700 ryzen, ASUS crosshair VII hero, and a noctua d15 SE am4. around 600 bucks for all 3. (shut up I know I should have bought a berretta APX) my old ( gd feb 2018!) rog strix, and 1600 ryzen my son has decided to work for them.
Only problem is every restart still takes like 5-10 mins to get too windows...this did it on my old asus rog strix also. I think it cause I have 5 harddrives and its running checks though each one....but asus forums isnt really much help :(
and yes the cooler is too GD big......wtf was I thinking!
sIVtWsD.jpg

*S*
D9gbmw1.gif
Posted Jan 9, 19 · OP · Last edited Jan 9, 19 by [ATF] davekell
Major
Votes:
+56
5 years service
Wiki Admin
I have the modle under yours for the Rog Stick, mine boots into windows with 3 seconds.
Quick few questions,

Are you talking about getting to windows loading screen or windows login in screen. It should take about 2 seconds to get to windows loading screen.
If you get to the windows loading screen within seconds ( 1 to 5) then it's a windows loading issue. Something is slowing it down.
Some people have complained since Dec update that it has caused longer boot times for windows 10. Best to check startup to see what could be slowing it down.
Number one causes I've found,
- Defrag program set to run before windows fully starts up
- Anti-virus program set to check before windows fully starts up
- Check disk set to run before windows fully starts up.
List can go on and on for programs to run checks before windows full loads, but you get the idea.

Also make sure Fast boot up is turned off in windows 10, it causes issue for half the people that use it. (If turned off, try and turn it on, tho like I said doesn't always work and can cause issues)
https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

If splash screen is enabled, disable it for asus. I personally like to see the information about what was being loaded just to make sure it see everything, even tho it's only up for a second. Splash screen is the asus logo and background when PC is turned on, turning it off shows you what the bios has loaded, IE CPU, ram, hd and so on.

Do you use an SSD as your boot, a pure SDD/M.2 not a hybrid like the seagate HDDs.
Is the HDD/SDD's set to ACPI, RAID, or UEFI?
Reason I ask is if not set to ACPI or UEFI they will run much slower. Tho depending on how the bios is setup(Different from each MB maker) Raid could be ACPI as well. Fairly sure Asus doesn't do it this way. Tho if using windows 7 or higher best to setup it to UEFI or ACPI if UEFI isn't an option. Tho if it's not set then it will take a reformat and reinstall of windows to correct. There is a trick to fix it, but can damaged Boot sector and would have to restart anyways.

Do you have quick boot turned on or off. Tho even turned off mine boots up in 10 seconds.
I have 6 HD in my main PC reg. No issues. (2SDDS, 4 HDDS)

DId you just moved HD to new build and let windows update itself to new system, or was it a fresh install.
- If so might need to clear up old Driver information. Windows can still be looking for the old chipsets.

Just thought of one more thing, do you have 2 sdd's set to raid?
Reason i ask is Catutt did it awhile ago and he had slow some issues with it. Tho he could clearfly it for it me.

Side note nice setup, I'm waiting on Zen 2 to come out later this year to see if I'll be upgrading my CPU or not, still very happy with my 1600X, tho have little to no time for gaming right now.

*S*
corpghent.gif
Posted Jan 10, 19 · Last edited Jan 10, 19 by [ATF] Corp_Ghent
Major
Votes:
+17
Admins
5 years service
In addition to Corps questions, are your HDDS in a raid and if so how old are the drives? Could have one failing and the system is doing some work to keep it alive.
Posted Jan 10, 19
Major
Votes:
+24
5 years service
I have the same board and it boots so fast I don't see much of shit after the ASUS logo except my desktop. I was thinking RAID myself, although I've no experience with that kind of drive setup.

*S*
FnxViOj.gif
Posted Jan 10, 19
Corporal
Votes:
+21
5 years service
1 SSD,4 mech drives. did HD test all checked out fine. it did this on the old system too. I shit you not 10 mins to boot to windows, from the black ROG screen with the circles going in a circle. nothing in raid fast boot is on. Splash is off, running ssd as boot drive uefi used on install, all boots soft or hard take forever. I didnt do a new install just basically swapped out the mobo. but like I said did it before. christ now windows deactivated on me lol...perfect.

gonna reboot see what happens when I use normal boot instead of selective.

*S*
D9gbmw1.gif
Posted Jan 10, 19 · OP
Major
Votes:
+56
5 years service
Wiki Admin
Easy to reactivate windows through MS if windows 10 is a bought copy and not a free/upgrade copy. Just need to deactivate the old version from MS website. I forget the actually link.

Just need to clearly this one part, so it boots fine and get to windows loading. That is where it takes a very long time to boot up?
If that is the case then something in windows loading process is causing the issue, next time in windows enable boot log. (Done in MSconfig)
Best way to make sure it is a driver issue causing all this,
Boot into safe mode. Once the Bios is done start press F8 like crazy until you get boot options for windows. Do Safe boot, no network and not the console version. If it boots in less then a min then it's a driver issue or a program causing issues with bootup.

Off to work for me.

*S*
corpghent.gif
Posted Jan 11, 19
Lieutenant
Votes:
+5
5 years service
It is hardly ever an issue to use the same Windows with different component swaps, but a MB swap can make it unstable. It is always worth it to get a fresh install with a MB swap to keep the bugs out. Idk if this is your issue as it can keep chugging without problem, but it would not surprise me if it is it. Maybe save it for last, but try it if all else fails you.

*S*
Posted Jan 11, 19
ATF Discord Viewer
ATF Clan
icon Voice Channels
Join Server
NoticeNotices