Beef Jerky

5 replies
Sergeant
Votes:
+21
5 years service
Everyone loves beef jerky and hates how expensive it is.. This led me to purchase a dehydrator so I could make my own.
I use a Presto 06301 Dehydro Digital Electric Food Dehydrator - https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Dehydro-Digital-Electric-Dehydrator/dp/B008H2OEKK/
You can use a variety of cuts of meat or types of meat, but you want as little fat on it as possible because that's what makes beef jerky spoil. I usually buy about 5lbs of london broil at a time, and I trim all the fat off before slicing it into strips. It makes it easier to slice if you throw it in the freezer for 2-3 hours to firm it up. I slice it into 1/8" to 1/4" strips.
Marinade:
2/3 cup of soy sauce
2/3 cup of Worcestershire
2/3 cup of either brown sugar or honey
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
2 teaspoons of Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons of onion powder
2 teaspoons of black pepper
2 TABLESPOONS of SUPER HOT hot sauce
Optional: I like adding minced garlic and chopped up/ diced jalapenos; Ive also used a splash of balsamic vinegar..
https://imgur.com/qPIFwuQ

Marinate your beef strips for a minimum of 12 hours.

Place on dehydrator, and as you set each tray down, drizzle honey on top of each piece.
Set dehydrator to 155 degrees, and start checking it after 4 1/2 hours.. Finished jerky should bend very slightly and break. If you leave it too long, it becomes hard and difficult to chew.

Another variation of this would be to put it in a smoker for a couple hours instead of using liquid smoke, then you would finish it in the dehydrator.

I'm making some today, and I will post pictures of the finished product

*S*
Posted Aug 22, 18 · OP · Last edited Aug 22, 18 by [ATF] Codester
List
Undo
Lieutenant
Votes:
+22
5 years service
I will try this recipe! I also use a dehydrator - but mine is pretty simple in comparison. the grandkids love it but I have been itching to try a new recipe. I have a rub I use on steaks that I grill, I in turn use it on the meat I turn into jerky. I use thin cut strips like yours, I then roll the strips in the rub and brush on dry smoke then into the dehydrator. My rub is 9 parts brown sugar, 3 parts of each of the following: paprika, coarse kosher salt, pepper. kinda sweet from the brown sugar but a little bite from the pepper/paprika. my next batch though, I will give yours a try. always good to have different flavors! My next goal is to make pepperoni sticks

*S*
6nWFr7D.jpg
Posted Sep 3, 18
Sergeant
Votes:
+21
5 years service
Nice! I just made up a batch of marinade right now.. Hopefully this time tomorrow the house will be full of good smells

*S*
Posted Sep 13, 18 · OP
Colonel
Votes:
+13
5 years service
I need to get back to making my own. *S*
bjnqA1z.gif]
Posted Sep 16, 18
Corporal
Votes:
+7
Im in!
*S*
Posted Sep 17, 18
Corporal
Votes:
+9
ROTC
Sounds awesome. I have never tried making my own. I remember when I was a kid, a friend of mine's father was a country boy and before he would take us to his farm he would make us eat a slim jim lol. Back then I fkn hated the things but would eat one every time so I could go. Now I eat one every once in a while and my wife complains the whole time about the smell lol.

*S*
ClJQt4V.gif
Posted Oct 12, 18
LOL
List
Undo
ATF Discord Viewer
ATF Clan
icon Voice Channels
Join Server
NoticeNotices